John Theophilus Drew, Captain of 2nd Vermont Infantry Company G

I edited this poster I found on the Internet.

poster 2nd Vermont Infantry

I had to have the name of the captain who was in charge of Company G.

I found his name here and his obituary.


John Theophilus Drew, UVM Class of 1863 was bom in Danville, Vt., 8 June 1834, the son of Gilman L. and Cynthia (Ward) Drew. The family removed to Barton in 1841. At the age of fourteen a severe illness left him with lung troubles and unable to do farm work for two or three years. At the age of seventeen John T. went to Barton to attempt work in a clothing store. The confinement and hard work were more than he could endure. He was advised that his lungs must have fresh air, and he tried selling jewelry from trunks strapped over his shoulders. Ere long he found he had not strength for this, and in September 1851, on being told that he must soon die, he dropped his trunks, took the cars for New Bedford and presented himself at the recruiting office of a whale ship and that night slept upon the deck of the ship. In April 1855 he returned home in the same ship after compassing most of the seas of the earth, in better health than he had had for many years.

With some encouragement from President Pease and Rev. Mr. Ferrin of Hinesburgh he went to the latter place in the fall of 1856, studied at the academy under A.E. Leavenworth [1856], and entered the University in 1857.

On the breaking out of the rebellion in April 1861, at the first public call in Burlington for volunteers, he enlisted, threw his whole energies into the work of enlisting others, was chosen and commissioned as captain of Company G, Second regiment. The regiment arrived in Washington and was ordered across the Potomac just in season to take part in the first battle of Bull Run. Capt. Drew was suffering from illness but could not be kept in camp. In endeavoring to follow the retreating rabble of the Union army he was taken prisoner, carried to Richmond, Libby Prison, Salisbury, Columbia and Charleston, whence he was exchanged in the summer of 1862 after fourteen months imprisonment. As soon as sufficiently recruited he resumed his studies as best he could, brought up the deficient topics, took the examinations at the University and received his degree of A. B. in 1863. He soon after enlisted in the reserve corps and was assigned to command at the hospital in Montpelier, which post he held till the hospital was broken up after the close of the war.

About the time of going to Montpelier he married Lucy Lovell of Burlington. Afterwards he engaged in mercantile business at Montpelier and at Rutland, did some work as an editor, traveled in Canada, the United States, through Central Europe, and down the Danube, writing very interesting letters for the New York Times. Then he studied law and did business mainly in Washington, D. C, successfully prosecuting claims for patents, pensions and war damages. For a few years previous to his death he resided in Burlington, carrying on his business chiefly in the larger cities of the country. He was attacked in the city of New York 8 October 1879 with inflammation of the brain, and judging from the first that it would end his life, he hastened home, anxious chiefly to reach his house before consciousness was gone. He arrived as he had hoped, and died 16 October 1879.

His activity of body and brain and his facility of various work have seldom been equaled. The incidents and varied fortunes and adventures of his life, if they could be told, would make a marvellous story. His flashing impulses often landed him in error or danger, and then back into the straight way and upon safe ground as suddenly. His many quick and changeful courses often threw him across the paths of others and made him enemies everywhere. His quick sense of justice and his generosity in time satisfied most of those that were worthy of his friendship. These impulses were often a source of danger to his habits, social relations, and Christian spirit. But many friends trusted the essential integrity of his purpose and made allowance for his impulsive nature. His wife and two daughters survived him.

Source: Obituary Record, University of Vermont, No. 1. 1895. Committee of the Associate Alumni, Burlington, 1895, p. 127.

So this is a poster Alexander Bennett could have seen in Hinesburg in 1861.

poster Company G

We will never know if Alexander Bennett discussed his enlistment with Louisa Janvier. What we know for sure is how many battles he was in.

Nine battles. Nine battles before he deserted after his regiment was stationed near New York to guard against the riotings.


In New York?





New_York_Draft_Riots_-_Harpers_-_lynching New_York_Draft_Riots_-_Harpers_-_ruins New_York_Draft_Riots_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_16960 New_York_Draft_Riots_Harpers_colored_asylum NYRiot Provost-Guard-Attacking-the-Rioters

To know more, click here.

I believe Alexander Bennett could not stand the violence and the bloodshed anymore.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s